I figured I would start out the week with a really fluffy post! I’ll attribute it to my husband and I watching the Jersey Shore Family Vacation last night…what a train wreck! It really opened my eyes as to what on earth was I thinking watching that all of the time?! We barely turn on the tv and last night, as Joe built a fire (yes, we are still having Winter here in Upstate NY) we just decided we needed to turn our brains off.
Anyway, back to the spray tan–which I would recommend 1000x over and over! Whether you have an event you want to have an extra glow for or you enjoy looking sun-kissed, it’s totally worth the money!
I have only done two. One was in October before we went to Toronto for Joe’s birthday and the other was right before the Ugly Disco. Since then I have been applying Jergen’s fake tanner a few times to just keep the glow going a little longer.
I haven’t seen or felt the sun since September I bet. Sure, it pokes its head out, but there is something about getting a little healthy color from that big old ball of fire. Since that is not an option and tanning beds have a bad rap, the spray tan is the way to go!
I chose an Organic spray both times. I am sure you could totally get a decent tan at any place offering them, but I do have a special spot for small businesses in my heart. The most recent place I went to was Glow Tanning. The girl was a riot and she chose my color for me: “The Champagne of Spray Tans.” Girl spoke my love language! I knew enough to “prep” ahead of time and ran all my errands that day ready to be sprayed!
First Day with the tan–I don’t even wear makeup. I feel like it looks super dark!!
Once you find a place you’d like to try, ask them for any specific prep they need you to do. Most likely they’ll tell you the following, but I’m not an expert. You could always consult Google too!
Any waxing should be done 24 hours prior.
Otherwise, this is what to expect of a spray tan!
- Shower in the am and wash your hair! I forgot to do my hair so my first shower after spray tan, the second time, I felt like was too long as it takes FOREVER to do my hair. I highly recommend being able to do a quick rinse/shower the day of your event.
- Exfoliate I prefer a sugar based scrub, but anything with a little grit will work! You really want to sloth off those dead skin cells to get to the newest layer of skin.
- Shave You want to make sure you’re primed and ready to get the solution on your skin.
- NO LOTION This was super hard for me!! I am a lotion girl and I hate the ‘dry feeling’ of no lotion. However, if you wear lotion prior to getting the spray tan, it may mix and cause blotches or it simple won’t allow the spray tan to stick.
- Wear black/loose clothing You most likely will get spray tan on you, even if you try to air dry/fan dry a bit before getting dressed. Wear something baggy if possible and definitely black. I was even told to forgo the bra. Ok!
- Bring a makeup wipe I tried not to wear a ton of makeup the day of my spray tan, but I did have a little tinted moisturizer on so I made sure to bring wipes to get it off.
- You can wear bottoms or not. They usually tell you to do whatever you’re most comfortable doing.
- Go the day before your event. I personally find the best color to be the very next day. The first day I looked pretty dark! I didn’t feel the need to wear makeup and I just looked like I hopped a plane from the islands. The tan will last about a week, if you drink a lot of water and slather that lotion on continuously after the tan!
- Be prepared to spend a little money. I paid $40 and tipped the girl, but again this was an organic solution, it lasted a week and I didn’t get messy trying to prep myself for days with bottled lotions/sprays at home.
- It all has a ‘scent.’ Again, I found the organic solution to be tolerable, but it still had that ‘fake tan smell’ if you’ve ever dabbled in fake tan before.
A few pics from our weekend in Toronto–I loved this glow!
I did add a little extra bronzer lotion to my legs too, which had glitter. Needed extra for the disco!!
Have you spray tanned before? Do you have a favorite place? I’ll share some of my at home fake tan products in another post, since I don’t see Mr. Sun coming out any time soon!