Happy Friday friends!!
I cannot believe it’s already Friday, but I sure am happy that it’s here. Fridays are a bit crazy and I never know what I’m going to be doing, with my entrepreneur husband! It’s his “day off” from his main job, but since we run a real estate business as well, typically we have a lot accomplish!
Yesterday I was able to work on preparing our taxes, as I know it’s going to be a long road there. Our business has literally grown so much in one year, it’s insane! I had a sitter come grab the kids so I could work all day. I did have a brow appointment scheduled, and instead of cancelling, I decided to keep it. I figured I deserved a ‘lunch hour’! I may have squeezed in 15 minutes at Barnes & Noble as well.
The title of my blog may have caught your attention. I’ve gotten a few questions regarding whether or not I get Botox. The answer? No. Not yet! I do have a desire to maybe dabble in it in the future, but currently I am actually okay with how my skin looks!
I am 36 and think maybe around 40, (ok, I may envision a Botox party for my 40th! ha!) I will consider it for real. I’m just not ready. I do however, take lots of precautions right now to help keep my skin looking as youthful as possible.
- Water. I drink as much water as I possibly can. You’re supposed to drink 1/2 your body weight in water, I believe that is so crucial for us to feel and look our best. I don’t drink much else, obviously teas and I do love my wine, but I always make sure to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!! It helps keep our skin looking smooth.
- 80/20 rule. I am a huge fan of this food rule! I try to eat 80% clean and leave 20% wiggle room for things that may not be so healthy. This works to not only keep us from feeling deprived from foods but also help our skin stay clean and clear! Seriously, when I did my 3 day juice cleanse, I was glowing! I try to sneak in as many fruits and veggies as I can, for me and the kids! I love Breathe Yoga juices and smoothies. Healthy and fun treats for all!
3. High quality makeup products. I think in this case, you just need to know your skin; I personally have VERY sensitive skin and when I use different drug store products, or even expensive ones, they tend to make me break out, causing blemishes and scarring. Find what works for your skin and stick to it! I currently love Younique, Mac and Bare Minerals. I also love an Esteé Lauder foundation for going out on date nights.
4. Excellent skin care routine. I wash my face every night, and I’ll admit some nights it’s simply a makeup wipe. However, I make sure to never sleep with makeup on and always use night serum, eye cream and lots of vitamin C. I currently use Mary Kay Products, but I am starting to switch over to Ever Skin Care (a Stella & Dot sister company! No harmful chemicals etc…) I can’t wait to try it out and give a more in depth report!
5. Go without makeup. I think this really helps your skin breathe! It seems that if I go a few days without, my lashes stay stronger, my pores aren’t as noticeable and my makeup always looks super fresh after a few days off. Plus, it’s nice to take a few days off and use those extra minutes elsewhere…like cuddling my kids or reading a book!
6. Exfoliate. I was not exfoliating and my pores were really getting clogged and I was getting frustrated that my fancy face masks seemed like they weren’t doing much. After consulting with my esthetician, it was quite apparent that my routine was lacking. I worried because I tried the clarisonic in the past, but it seemed too much for me. Now I use one in the MK line and I haven’t had any breakouts–knock on wood!
7. Bronzer–not tanning!! Even in the Summer, I am making a HUGE effort to keep my face covered in SPF and I try to wear a hat. As much as I love the sun, I find it to be extremely damaging. I don’t go tanning any more, and I do regret going in my early 20s and burning the crap out of my body. No bueno ladies! If you’re itching to look tan, go get that organic spray tan for your special event, don’t fake and bake. Also, invest in an excellent bronzer so that you will glow!
8. Brows Like I mentioned above, I do love to get my brows done. I have not done threading or tried micro-blading. I do have a brow girl whom I love dearly! I think she does a great job and I see her once a month for $25. It’s a quick little pick me up, gives me an instant looking face lift and I just slap a little brow powder and go! What a difference good brows make! (as you can see, I do have wrinkles and my photo is NOT edited. This is me and I’m more than ok with it. I just got my brows done so they are a little red!)
9. Face Masks/facials I know we should get facials regularly, and I do try to go every season…it’s turned into twice a year since kids, but I do find that if I do at home masks, such as charcoal or collagen, my face definitely seems to look a bit better! Plus, letting a professional take a close look at your skin will help you with any questions or problem areas that you may have.
10. Collagen. I have tried masks and under eye treatments, but recently I added drinking it! I get the AdvoCare Glow packets and ladies–game changers! I swear I see a little extra tint of color in my pale face and literal ‘glow’ from my skin. I love that it’s super tasty too! I usually try to drink 2-3 and it’s a great way to get in that extra water intake!
Other tips or tricks? I think working out helps and sweating, clearly helps the blood flow and makes you feel younger! I also really try not to stress over the small things. I used to be so anxious and uptight all the time. Being with my husband taught me to let go of trying to control every little thing and just be. It’s hard, as I am a perfectionist at heart, but I do find the less I stress the more I smile and well, a smile is always the best accessory! And last but not least, I will admit I do love good lighting, and/or a filter in my photos. I don’t ever alter my face or do hardcore editing (I just don’t have the time!) But with technology, I don’t mind using a little help with a filter!
I am someone who loves turning a year older, but I’ll be honest…I don’t love every little fine line and wrinkle! It’s crazy to see your skin starting to change, but I do believe in preventative measures and I do adore a youthful glow.
Clearly I am not a doctor, so these are simply my thoughts on how I’m taking on aging! I’m not against plastic surgery or fillers, it’s just something I have no experience with.
What are your anti-aging routines? Do you let nature take its course or do you work a little at preventing it? I’d love to hear!