Since I just shared some of my workouts with you, I thought I’d compile a quick refresher on some healthy hacks for life, especially life in quarantine! If you feel like you’re falling more into the slumps or down in the dumps, you may just need a few tweaks to your daily routines. I find that if I get off track, I need to stop and look at where my energy and time is going.
- Move your body AT LEAST 30 minutes every day. Break it up if you have to! 5 minute stretch in the morning, 10 minute yoga break mid day, 15 minute walk after dinner. Boom, done! Or do a dance session, lift some weights, hop on your spin bike, play some tennis or run after your kids! Just do it every single day. You’ll quickly find how great you feel, and want to move more! If you have a dog, make it a goal to walk the dog first thing in the morning and once again in the evening. Once you’ve gotten into that habit, don’t count that as a workout, but just as a daily routine. Watch your body start changing immediately!
- Drink that water!! If you’re not drinking at least 1/2 your body weight of water or more, you are most likely not getting enough H20!! I’m not talking your teas, coffee, pop, whatever…straight up water yo! Buy yourself a cute new water jug or one that keeps your water extra cold! Cut some fresh fruit, stick some mint in there, do whatever you need to do, but get more water. It will help your skin glow, your digestion flow, and you may even eat less since you’re probably more thirsty than hungry when you go grab that extra snack. I’m also trying to drink a huge cup of water before a meal so that I don’t overeat as well.
- Enjoy SOME sweets. Fruit is not evil! I find that if I eat enough fruit throughout the day or cut some up at night after dinner, I don’t find myself wanting to eat a whole batch of GF cookies. One or two cookies won’t kill your vibe, but reign it in. I will even have a few chocolate/butterscotch chips with some tea if I really want. Do not deprive yourself, or you will end up overeating. Have a glass of wine or a white claw. It’s ok! Just try not to have 3+ or you’ll just undo the work you’ve done. Remember we are in a wonky time so if you take away all the fun things, you may just quit and that’s no good. If you do over-indulge, tomorrow is a new day. Do not stress *we don’t need that cortisol raising any more than it is!
- Eat the rainbow!! No not skittles, but rather fill your plate each meal with as many colors as you can. Breakfast I try to get my spinach (green) tomatoes (red) eggs, avocado, blueberries or strawberries….you get my drift. If you find yourself eating all bland foods at each meal, you may not be getting all of the nutrition your body needs and you’ll crave it and cave in other areas. Now that Summer is almost here, those fresh fruits and veggies will be abundant! Keep those carrots handy, celery, berries, and salads are so great on a hot sunny day!
- Gratitude. I know you’ve heard it a million times but if you just take a few minutes in the morning, or at night, or both, to find a few things in life you’re thankful for, life does seem to have a funny way of turning around! I try to write in my Start Today Journal daily but if I don’t, I will still take time to reflect and count my blessings. If you start focusing on all the bad, negative, how things could be better, than that’s all you’ll see. Trust me, I know because I fall into that sometimes too. But I try so very hard to have a happy headspace and focus on the good! It’s amazing how much good will come back to you!